Monday, June 22, 2009


My friend Therese has been posting all kinds of stuff on her blog about vaccines. It makes my head hurt kinda. Anyways, I'm always waivering about this issue. Here's a link to her:

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I hear ya about all of this making your head hurt. I was (blisfully) clueless about all this w/ Brenna and had her vaxed on schedule. Luckily, we had no probs.

When Connor arrived, I was starting to hear/read more and was REALLY uneasy, but completely overwhelmed and not knowing where to start. I (VERY reluctantly) allowed his first two rounds of shots (delayed by 1 month due to my indecision). I hated feeling like I was doing something I didn't want to do, but didn't know what else to do (if that makes sense).

I finally chose to go w/ Dr. Sears schedule (basically), finding it to be more "moderate" and reasonable. My ped there in SoCal was NOT happy w/ my choice, and made that VERY, VERY clear on several occasions, but I was comfortable enough at that point to stand up for myself.

My doc here is 'tolerant' of my choice, though clearly not happy about it. She reminds me at each appointment which shots Connor is "missing." I remind her at each appointment that I'm comfortable with the shots I have declined and where they are (if at all) on the schedule I'm following.

Brogan is scheduled for his 2 month shots on July 11 ... my ped will be out of town, so I'll have the pleasure of explaining myself and my wishes to a totally different doc. Ugh.

In the end, you have to do what YOU feel comfortable with, not what you feel pressured to do (in either direction ... and boy is there a LOT of pressure!). I feel comfortable somewhere in the middle - I'm comfortable with vaccinating for the most part, but VERY uncomfortable with the recommended schedule. So, I modify and delay.

I wish you luck with your decision. It's not an easy one, that's for sure. I'll pray you find a position you feel comfortable and confident in!!