I have developed this ridiculous habit in the evening of "just checking my email" and then it turns into this click-a-thon back and forth between my various email accounts and Facebook. Sure, I read up on birth news and do a little research, but mostly I'm just zoning and wasting ridiculous amounts of time and going to bed too late. Why do I do this? Why do I get sucked in? Blech.
So here are 5 things I should do instead with my time:
1. Update my blog. Have you noticed that I don't update barely anything anymore? And I have an absolutely ADORABLE 4 month old baby? Don't you know that I have some beautifully cute scrumptious pictures in my camera that need to be loaded? Mmm hmmm...I need to update.
2. Input new Bradley students into the AAHCC website. Every time I have a new student they have to fill out this little yellow registration card and I'm supposed to input some info into the AAHCC database. I also record info about their birth. I have, let's see...(counting) 17 cards to input. I have PLENTY of time to do this. I just need to do a few a day and I'll be done really quickly. So stop zoning Jamie and input the dumb cards!
3. Read. I don't read anything anymore. Well, except for news articles related to birth stuff and most recently the flu. I click around and read other people's blogs. Occasionally I'll follow a link to an interesting article. But I haven't read an actual book with a plot-line in a really long time. Wasn't I an English major? What happened to that? I sometimes think my attention span has been reduced to naught.
4. Crochet. I am currently working on a blanket for my niece Catie. I was a very enthusiastic crocheter in the the beginning but I since haven't touched the thing in about two months. I know that if I just worked on it in the evening even for just a half hour I would get a lot accomplished. I'd like to give the blanket to her for her 5th birthday, but that means I must CROCHET THE BLANKET.
5. Pantry plan. One of my most important jobs in this household is to make sure we eat. I take a bit of pride in being a household where there is warm dinner every evening cooked by m'oi. I actually only cook three times a week typically because I always make enough for a second day, but the point is is that there is food and I want it to be nutritious and have some variety. Well, lately, I've been really slacking in the dinner department and I don't like it. Part of the problem is that it has become such a chore to grocery shop with the kids and I have three different grocery stores that I like. Trader Joes has the milk, eggs, juice and cereal. Sprouts has the bulk goods like oatmeal, beans, rice, and they sell very tasty sausage and have good sourdough bread. They also have good prices on produce. Stater Bros. has a good meat department and deli, and everything else that I need like sandwich bags, paper towels, and really anything else. However, I only have the energy for one major grocery store trip a week. This means that I'm either compromising and paying too much for something that is lesser quality at one of the stores or I need to plan ahead better and stock up on certain goods while I'm at a particular store. Or do what I have been doing lately which is not plan well at all and not have the right ingredients for stuff so then come dinnertime it is a big shrug because I don't have much to work with. So, I need to use my time in the evening to take stock so that when I do go to the store I'm not forgetting so much.
In writing this all out I hope that I can keep better focus of what I can be doing in the evening.