Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Good Chicky Recipe

I read this post about cooking a whole chicken in a crock pot and got some good tips.

I often cook pork and beef in the crock pot but have not made many whole chicken attempts since Jason thinks crock pot chicken makes the house smell weird.

The above post though had a great tip that worked out very well. After stuffing the cavity with celery, onion, and carrot, place the chicken into the crock pot on top of a few aluminum foil balls to keep it raised. Then just season with salt and paprika and set to low. Don't add any water.

This technique gave the chicken more of a rotisserie flavor and was very good.

I now have the bones, leftover chicken juice, and more celery, carrot, and onion cooking (with about 6 cups of water) to make some broth. My neighbor does this every time she makes chicken and she never has to buy canned.

1 comment:

Iris said...

Mmmm gonna try this one soon. I LOVES crock pot cookin